Prerequisites to research in the Stem Cell Lab
- Student can be from grade levels 10-11
- Student can be enrolled in ANY Academy
- Student must take Dr. Pergolizzi's 1 trimester elective
- Research Applications in Molecular Biology and Genetics (Res Mol)
- After successful completion of the research elective, students will enroll in research with the guidance office and sign the Research Contract. Students are required to sign up for a minimum of 6 mods (2 hours) per week for research, however, more than 6 mods per week may be necessary in a given week to complete all research work.
- Project Development (Approx. 1 trimester):
- Students will have begun developing a research project during the course of their trimester in the Res Mol elective. Students may use their project proposal for their research, or may choose to develop a new project. This will require students to spend their time in the lab discussing interests with mentor, looking at examples of projects currently going on in BCA Research, and consulting the primary literature. Primary literature will be the main source of information for students regarding the current state of research in their desired field.
- A written research proposal or abstract is expected by students by the end of the first trimester of research. In addition, a list of chemicals or supplies not in stock in the labs will be required.
- Student Training:
- After successfully developing a research proposal, students will begin training with instruments in the lab and will begin learning necessary techniques, such as sterile technique for cell culture.
- Fairs & Competitions (Sophomores - Seniors):
- Students involved in research are expected to participate in research fairs or competitions in each year that they are enrolled in research. Fairs include but are not limited to:
- Senior Year Science Scholarship Competitions:
- Students are expected to participate in Senior science scholarship competitions, including:
- Publication (Seniors):
- Should a students body of work and experimental results merit, students are encouraged to attempt publication via peer-reviewed journal submission or submission to conference proceedings.