Student Awards & Accolades
Varun Kumar named 2019 Davidson Fellow.
Dai, K., Radin, D. P., & Leonardi, D. (2019). PINK1 depletion sensitizes non-small cell lung cancer to glycolytic inhibitor 3-bromopyruvate: Involvement of ROS and mitophagy. Pharmacological Reports, 71(6), 1184–1189. doi: 10.1016/j.pharep.2019.08.002
Each of these 11 students presented at the BCA Research Expo and each of these 11 students submitted their research to the Regeneron Science Talent Search after 2 to 4 years in my lab and having written a 20 page thesis for submission. These students (in no particular order) include:
Maame-Afua Ansah who was also named a BCA Research Expo 2019 Symposium Finalist
Miri Goodman who was also selected to present her research at ENDO2019, the annual meeting of the Endocrine Society held in New Orleans, LA.
Rachel Havriliak who was also selected as a Junior Science and Humanities Symposium Poster presenter at the State level
Jennifer Kong who was also a Symposium Finalist at the State level of the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
Wooseok Kwon was a state finalist at the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium poster presentations, a 2019 BCA Research Expo Symposium Finalist, and named a Top 10 national finalist for the Neuroscience Research Prize
Kevin Chew took First place and Symposium Finalist at the NJ Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, Kevin also competed at the National level of the Junior Science and Humanities Symposium.
Maiya Maowas a Regeneron Science Talent Search Semifinalist, International Science and Engineering Fair Finalist (Third Place), BCA REsearch Expo Symposium Finalist, and the author of a publication in a peer reviewed journal.
Caleb Shi was also a Regeneron Science Talent Search Semifinalist, he presented at ASME 2018 International Conference in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. He also presented at the Society for Neuroscience in San Diego. He was named a Top finalist for the Neuroscience Research Prize, and presented at the American Academy of Neurology in Philadelphia. Caleb.
Varun Kumar was a Regeneron Science Talent Search Finalist, attended International Science and Engineering Fair (twice) (Second Place), he was a NJ Junior Science and Humanities Symposium poster presenter, he was a BCA Research Expo Symposium Finalist, an NJRSF Symposium Finalist, and the author of 2 publications in peer reviewed journals.
Jason Ping was a BCA Research Expo Symposium Finalist and International Science and Engineering Fair Finalist finishing “First Place” and “Best in Category.”
Max Zhang was a Top 15 Finalist at the International BioGENEius competition held during Bio2019.
Jessie Lee was a BCA Research Expo Symposium Finalist
Maiya Mao (AMST 2019):
Mao MJ, Leonardi DE (2019) Vascular-endothelial response to IDH1 mutant fibrosarcoma secretome and metabolite: Implications on cancer microenvironment. American Journal of Cancer Research (Accepted for publication; ahead of print)
Varun Kumar (AAST 2019):
Studies examining the synergy between Dihydrotanshinone and Temozolomide against MGMT+ glioblastoma cells in vitro: Predicting interactions with the blood-brain barrier. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0753332218349266
Presidential Scholar (Katherine Dai)
Davidson Fellows ( Deena Shefter $25,000 and Nicole Moiseyev $10,000)
10 Regeneron Science Talent Search Semifinalists ( Isabella Impalli, Dan Cho, Katherine Dai, Gene Lee, Ken Stier, Devarshi Vasa, Clairisse Hwang, Nikhil Lohe, Nicole Moiseyev, Deena Shefter)
Siemens Semifinalists: Katherine Dai and Isabella Impalli
International Science and Engineering Fair
Varun Kumar, 2nd Place
Nikhil Lohe, 2nd Place
BCA Research EXPO (ISEF affiliated Fair)
Finalists: Clairisse Whang, Haneul Shin, Gene Lee, Deena Shefter, Jason Ping, Varun Kumar, Nikhil Lohe, and Katherine Dai
Junior Science and Humanities Symposium (National Level)
Presentation at the 100th Annual meeting of the Endocrine Society in Chicago
Presentation at the American Association of Cancer Research Annual meeting also in Chicago
"Top 10" (National Level) in the ANN Neuroscience Research Prize -Varun Kumar
Probing the Oncolytic and Chemosensitizing Effects of Dihydrotanshinone in an In Vitro Glioblastoma Model. Kumar V1, Radin D2, Leonardi D3
$250,000 Winner Regeneron Science Talent Search 2017
Regeneron Science Talent Search Finalist 2017
Jacy Fang; $25,000
Regeneron Science Talent Search Semifinalists 2017
Siemens Competition Regional Finalist 2016-2017
Siemens Competition Semifinalists 2016-2017
International Science and Engineering Fair Finalists
Dongmin (Courtney) Kim
Clairisse Whang; 2nd Place; $3,000
Varun Kumar; Student Ambassador
Meryl Pookkattu; 3rd Place
Dongmin (Courtney) Kim; 1st Place
National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium National Finalists
Jiwoo Lee; 2nd Place $8,000
BioGENEius International 2017
Katherine Dai--one of 15 International Finalists
Publications: John Roy Lozada
Lozada, JR et. al., Myxoid Fibroadenomas Differ from Conventional Fibroadenomas: a Hypothesis Generating Study. Histopathology. 2017 May 17. doi: 10.1111/his.13258.
(2017) Indrani Das - First Place
Indrani Das & Jacy Fang - Finalists
Andrew Fong, Sabrina Gjerswold-Selleck, Enoch Jiang, Jiwoo Lee, Christina Ping, Varun Subramaniam
(2016) Rachel Han, MinSung Cho - Semifinalist
(2015) Nicole Eskow - Finalist
Nicole Kim, Nicole Eskow, Grace Kim, Justin Yu & Isabella Martin - Semifinalist
(2014) Brianna Perreira - Finalist
Daniella Batarseh, Brianna Perreira, Ankitha Radakrishnan & Hee Jae Song - Semifinalists
(2013) Jennifer Chan - Finalist
Jennifer Chan, Michelle Guo, Daniel Pierce Radin & Janice Yejin Su - Semifinalists
(2012) Eun Be (Grace) Kim - Finalist
George Masanori Iwaoka & Eun Be (Grace) Kim - Semifinalists
(2011) Junyoung Choi, Augustina Mensa-Kwao, Apexa Modi, Shivani Vinay Shah, Kushali Pranit Upadhyay, Austin Jeffrey Wang, Stephanie Cervino, Yeon Jeong Cho, April Hea Yon Choi & Eun Young Choi - Semifinalists
(2010) Linda Zhou - Finalist
Mark Lipa Velednitsky, Linda Zhou, Seung Eun Lee & Johanna Meehyun Lee - Semifinalists
(2008) Steven Konstantin Lisica - Semifinalist
(2007) Caroline Beth Drucker & George Hotz - Semifinalists
(2016) Jacy Fang, Jiwoo Lee, John Lozada, Miyu Ono, Sung Hyun Yoo - Semifinalists
(2015)MinSung Cho - Semifinalist
(2014) Hee-Sung Kim, Justin Yu - Semifinalists
Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)
(2016) Jiwoo Lee - Best in Category, 1st Award, US-Indo Award, CAST Awardrd Award; Alon Millet - Second Award
(2015) Nicole Eskow - 3rd Award - Biomedical and Health Sciences Awards
(2014) Alon Millet - 2nd Place Plant Physiology; Special Award Awards
(2013) Alon Millet - Finalist
North Jersey Regional Science Fair Award Winners
(2014-2015) Nicole Eskow (ISEF Finalist); Dongmin Kim (ISEF Finalist); Rachel Han (ISEF Alternate); Jiwoo Lee; Nicole Kim; Sangwoo Hahn; Anuja Walke; Himani Patel; Bianca Pereira; Justin Yu; Minsung Cho; Jennifer Lee; Hee-Sung Kim; Alon Millet; Isabella Martin; Nathan Levin
(2013-2014) Alon Millet (ISEF Finalist); Ji-Sung Kim (ISEF Finalist Alternate); Justin Yu; Dongyeon Kim; Hee Jae (Ana) Song; Himani Patel; Bianca Perreira; Brianna Perreira; Parth Bhargav; Jerome Fratello & Christopher Capasso; Daniella Batarseh;
(2012-2013) Alon Millet (ISEF Finalist Alternate); Joshua Ross (ISEF Finalist Alternate)
Monmouth Junior Science Symposium Award Winners
(2014-2015) Paper Presentation Awards - Alon Millet (2nd Place), Isabella Martin (3rd Place), Rachel Han (Honorable Mention); Poster Presentation Awards - Hee-Sung Kim (3rd Place) Full Awards
New Jersey Academy of Science Annual Meeting
(2015) Cell and Molecular Biology Category: 1st - Thomas Ferrante; Ecology II: 1st - Alon Millet; Health & Medicine II: 1st - Yashaar Hafizka, 3rd - Bianca Pereira.
Student Full Papers
- Probing the Molecular Mechanisms Governing the Oncolytic Activity of Paeonia suffruticosa on Triple-negative Breast Cancer CellsIn Vitro Anticancer Res 37 (9)4813-4819
- Radin, D., Lippa, A., Patel, P., & Leonardi, D., "Lifeguard inhibition of Fas-mediated apoptosis: A possible mechanism for explaining the cisplatin resistance of triple-negative breast cancer cells." Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 77, 161-166,2016.
- S.Y. Kim & D. Leonardi., "Angiogenin as a Multi-Targeted Therapy for Alzheimers Disease". International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, Nov. 2013.
- E. Kim, J. Jacobson, and D. Leonardi., "Tamoxifen: A Novel Approach for the Treatment of Estrogen Receptor Negative Cancers." International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 3(2), 2012.
- N. Philips, et al., "Stimulation of Cell Proliferation and Expression of Matrixmetalloproteinase-1 and Interluekin-8 Genes in Dermal Fibroblasts by Copper." Connective Tissue Research 51, 224-229, 2010.
- N. Philips, et al., "Differential regulation of growth factors and matrix metalloproteinase-1 by estrogen, progesterone, and tamoxifen in normal and cancerous endometrial cells." J. Cancer Mol. 4, 169-173, 2009.
- N. Philips, et al., "Beneficial regulation of matrixmetalloproteinases and their inhibitors, fibrillar collagens and transforming growth factor-β by Polypodium leucotomos, directly or in dermal fibroblasts, ultraviolet radiated fibroblasts, and melanoma cells." Archives of Dermatological Research 301(7), 487-495, 2009.
Student Short Papers
- D. Batarseh, et al., "A Novel Method to Manipulate Osteoblastic Differentiation." Microsc Microanal 20(Suppl 2), 2014. Awaiting Citation
- M. Guo, et al., "Novel Mechanisms for Resveratrol and Metformin: Implications in Alzheimer's Disease." Microsc Microanal 19(Suppl 2), 248-249, 2013. Abstract Poster
- P. Patel, et al., "The Effect of 17-β-estradiol on Cellular Proliferation Mediated by Protein Disulfide Isomerase and the Mammalian Target of Rapamycin (mTOR)." Microsc Microanal 19(Suppl 2), 286-287, 2013. Abstract Poster
- Y. Esquilin, et al., "mtDNA Migration and the Role of Exosomes in Horizontal Gene Transfer." Microsc Microanal 18(Suppl 2), 286-287, 2012. Abstract Poster
- G. Iwaoka, et al., "Investigating UBM Degradation Products as a Possible Therapeutic Treatment for Regenerative Medicine using a P19 Cell Model." Microsc Microanal 18(Suppl 2), 284-285, 2012. Abstract Poster
- E. Dente, et al., "The Benzoin-Based Complex: A New Frontier for Skin Repair." Microsc Microanal 18(Suppl 2), 288-289, 2012. Abstract Poster
- Y. Park, et al., "Anti-aggregation Potential of Sugars against Strepococcus mutans in co-culture with Lactobacillus rhamnosus." Microsc Microanal 18(Suppl 2), 24-25, 2012. Abstract Poster
- S. Rastogi, et al., "A Novel Intracellular Target for Anti-Allergic Medications." Microsc Microanal 17(Suppl 2), 310-311, 2011. Abstract Poster
- J. Obayemi, et al., "Erythropoietin and Breast Cancer Progression: An in vitro Study." Microsc Microanal 17(Suppl 2), 302-303, 2011. Abstract Poster
- J. Choi, et al., "Encapsulation of Paclitaxel with Glycol Chitosan Nanoaggregates for in vitro Drug Delivery." Microsc Microanal 17(Suppl 2), 312-313, 2011. Abstract Poster
- A. Shah & D. Leonardi. "The Hormetic Effects of Copper on Thermotolerance in Rotifers." Proceedings of The Fourth Annual International Conference on Hormesis Implications For Toxiciology, Medicine and Risk Assessment. June 6-8, 2005, University of Mass, Amherst, Mass. 2005.
- A. Shah & D. Leonardi. "Possible Molecular Underpinnings of Hormesis Induced Longevity." Proceedings of The Fourth Annual International Conference on Hormesis Implications For Toxiciology, Medicine and Risk Assessment. June 6-8, 2005, University of Mass, Amherst, Mass. 2005.